Bayer AG is a German chemical and pharmaceutical company founded in 1863. It is headquartered in Leverkusen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany and well known for its original brand of aspirin. According to the company’s investor website, Bayer generated revenues approaching 40 million Euro in 2012 alone.
Controversy is nothing new to Bayer. A quick review of the company’s history shows examples of dangerous products being made available for corporate profit.
• The FDA has repeatedly warned and punished Bayer for misstating the benefits of Yasmin (also known as Yaz) while understating its risks
• Credited for discovering Heroin and marketing it as a cough treatment
• Sued for falsely claiming that selenium contained in their vitamin may reduce risks of prostate cancer Accused of influencing medical providers to submit fraudulent claims to Medicaid; Bayer paid $14 million to settle
• Bayer was a subsidiary of a company named IG Farben during WWII; the company manufactured Zyklon B, which is a gas used by the Nazis during the Holocaust and in fact, one Fritz ter Meer, a convicted Nazi War criminal, was a member of the company’s Advisory Board
• As a result of a rich history/affiliation with the Nazi Party, Bayer does not properly credit a Jewish employee for creating their marquee product; in lieu of that, official credit is given to another man
Bayer also manufactures Mirena, which is an intrauterine device (IUD); yet another dangerous product developed by the pharmaceutical giant. Mirena is marketed by Bayer as “Birth Control for Busy Moms”. The device is implanted inside the patient’s uterus by a medical provider. The Mirena device includes progesterone (a hormone secreted by the female reproductive system that functions mainly to regulate the condition of the inner lining of the uterus) which is delivered over a long period of time (up to 5 years). The result for many women is positive as they carry on living enjoyable lives without the concern or worry of becoming pregnant (usually women must have given 1 birth to be candidates to be implanted with Mirena). For others, the consequences can be different and dangerous.
Common Side Effects of Mirena Include:
• Irregular Menstrual Cycle
• Pain or Cramps
• Migration of the IUD
• Perforation of the Uterus
• Miscarriage or Complicated Pregnancy
The fact that Bayer would put corporate profit above the safety of consumers is not very surprising at all to me. What’s worse is that the deceptive trade practices of Bayer and the likes of many other Big Pharma companies, causes respected physicians to recommend these products and drugs to their trusting loyal patients.
The increased attention to Mirena IUD as a result of lawsuits being filed has caused greater awareness to both consumers and physicians. The greatest injustice is that Bayer has decided that paying claims or defending law suits are only a mere cost of doing business; a drop in the bucket. The product has yet to be taken off the market despite an overwhelming amount of evidence showing how dangerous it can be. If your doctor offers Mirena as a birth control option, I would encourage you to do your own research and make an informed decision. If you have experienced and injury as a result of Mirena, I would encourage you to speak with an attorney.
Call your Mirena IUD Lawsuit Attorneys at Dolman Law Group for a free case evaluation. If you have experienced the aforementioned symptoms you may be entitled to a recovery for your damages. You should only rely on an experienced Mirena Lawyer to advise you of your rights. We are here for our clients during the most trying times to help with physical and emotional trauma. Call 727-451-6900 should you be in the most unfortunate position of being affected by this dangerous and defective product.